Background

Monday, November 8, 2010

Disabled

For the first time ever, I'm admitting that my child is disabled. Ever since Meghan had her drastic regression in development, going from a normal 10 month old baby to being the equivalent of a 2 month old in every aspect, I have always held on to the fact that she is just delayed. My child is not disabled, she is just delayed. When my heart would race with anxiety of her condition, I would tell myself to calm down, she is just delayed. She will catch up. She is just delayed.
About two weeks ago we had our 6 month IDP with our intake coordinator with Alta Regional. At little bit of background, Meghan was accepted in the Early Intervention Program after her set back. Alta mainly used Easter Seals as our vendor for Developmental Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, and Physical Therapy. All children can remain in this Early Intervention Program until they are 3 years old. At that time, they become the responsibility of the school district to take over all developmental needs in order for them to succeed or develop in life. There is a chance however, to continue services with Alta Regional, if your child is deemed, by their board members, as being severely handicapped or disabled. If this happens, whenever we go up against the school district for her IEP's, we will have an advocate from Alta backing her disabilities and pushing for services if they are reluctant. They also help setting Medical and SSI in place for families.

We got the call from our intake coordinator that the board has deemed Meghan disabled and they will be continuing her case when she turns 3. Bittersweet! Yay, we have an advocate, another voice that will help get Meghan what she needs! A support system that we can turn too. The help with getting signed up for Medical and SSI. BUT, my child, Meghan is disabled. That is hard to swallow. It was hard enough to come to grips with her being so delayed, that accepting the label disability will take some time. And this may not be a permanent disability. If we can keep her seizures under control, and reduce some of her medications, then she may develop leaps and bounds and catch up to her age level. I am very confident by the time Kindergarten comes around, she just may be able to run with the big kids :) So even though Meghan being labeled disabled is bittersweet, I will always continue to hold on to hope that she will overcome it. If not, then that's OK. She is my huggable, luvable, squeezable Meggers and disability or not, I will do whatever it takes to be the best mom ever!! Trying it on for size....My name is Kerri, and I have a child with a disability. Not as hard as I thought!

These poems have helped me immensely through our process: A Magical Poem and Welcome To Holland

1 comment:

  1. Kerri, you are an amazing mommy! In reading your post tonight I kept thinking, "NO Meghan is not disabled, she is a child with a disability." Then, at the end of your post you said those words "with a disability." Perhaps they were not as hard for you to say because the disability is not who she is, it does not define her. She is a person first, the disability is, and ALWAYS will be secondary to the wonderful little person that she is and will continue to develop into...thanks to you, her wonderful mommy who has the courage to write about her feelings so openly and to not let the "disability" define who she is as a person. If it wasn't for Holland, I would have never met you and would never have been able to be inspired by Meghan's story. If you ever need, yet another advocate for Meghan, please know that I am here for you and know quite a bit about working with school districts, navigating the system can be a daunting task but so worth it!

    ReplyDelete