Background

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas

What an amazing Christmas this year was. First off...I went in with a totally different attitude. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, Life's Wham's, Christmas isn't about all the presents or the money spent. It's about the peace, love and joy by being surrounded by family and friends. This year...my most favorite gift of all was the visit by my sister and niece. My nephew was suppose to come with them, but unfortunately he got snowed in. So Christmas will continue in my heart when he comes to visit!

My sister, Kristi, lives down in Pismo Beach with my niece and nephew. She is a workaholic and not too big on road trips. Unfortunately, since Meghan started having seizures, we have not felt comfortable enough to travel with her. I guess I'm afraid to be away from home, our doctors, our hospital just in case something happened. So, thinking back, I think it has been about 2 years since I saw Kristi!

On Christmas eve, I had the day off. Elizabeth and I set off to run some errands and drop by one of my besties house. FYI...she has one of the cutest babies ever! Elizabeth was not feeling too well. She came down with a cold a couple days prior and was not her happy go lucky self. Unfortunately, I lead to some of her pain. I have ear cleanliness OCD. I can't stand looking into kids ears and see nothing but gross, yellow wax. The best way for me to clean ears is with a Q-tip. I know, I know...anything smaller than your elbow should not be put in your ears...sue me, I USE Q-TIPS! Well, I'm guessing, with Elizabeth's cold, maybe her ear drums were a little swollen. So, I ended up puncturing BOTH her ear drums. So, I gave her some antibiotic ear drops, left over from ear tube surgeries, and hoped and prayed I did not have to take her to the doctor (I knew a lecture would be coming). After we got home, I finished wrapping presents and prepped for Christmas. We started a Christmas morning tradition last year of making a breakfast casserole the night before so we can just pop it in the oven the next morning. Super easy. I made the casserole and homemade coffee cake for that night. That evening my sister and niece came into town, and my other sister, Kim, who lives about 20 minutes away ("on the other side of the river"), her husband, and my other two nephews came over. We opened up some presents and just enjoyed each other to the fullest. We got my mom a photo memory book of her and all of us growing up. She LOVED it. And all of us sharing those memories, priceless! Finally the girls went to bed, Santa and his helpers put presents together, and then we passed out sometime early Christmas morning!

Christmas morning, the girls slept in. YES...they slept in. At about 8 we rolled out of bed to see what Santa had brought. Nothing can warm your heart faster than watching pure excitement come across your children's face. I relished in their joy, and once they were over the initial excitement, it was on to the presents. Luckily, the presents between Elizabeth and Meghan ended up being exactly even. Not that I count, but I have a certain 6 year old that does and it would be total meltdown if a certain 2 year old walked away with more (I've tried to explain monetary/quality vs. quantity...but hey, she is only 6). After that, the in laws came over and we had more presents to unwrap. At this point, I was pretty stressed...toooooo  much disarray in my living room....and kitchen! We had a really quite afternoon of playing and cleaning. That evening we headed to my sisters house for dinner. Luckily, my sister and I married into the same family, so we have one big family function instead of running all over the greater Sacramento area! A few hours later, two very exhausted parents, and two very cranky kids headed home to pass out in bed. Got the kids in bed, took a bath, and lights out for me.


Elizabeth loving her Santa pile

Santa brought Meghan a Yo Gabba Gabba toy...that's all she needed

The next morning we all met up for breakfast. My sister was headed back home, so we had one more get together then it was off to shop. Talk about score! We needed a new couch bad. Ours was falling apart and it was irreparable. Many stores later, we found the perfect couch that we both LOVED!! My sister...love her...was seeking a new table. Now the cool thing is we LOVE her table. Them, not so much. So if they happened upon a new table at the right price they liked, then we got the old one. AND they did!!!! By that night, we were the proud owners of a new table and couch. Also...another big item for the house...Matt got a fish tank. We agreed on a 90 gallon, but it fits perfect in our living room. Yeah for the kids getting older, which means the toys get smaller!!!

Kristi and I

Sisters <3 Kim, Kristi and me - Kerri (notice a pattern!)

What a year 2010 has been. It has had it ups and downs, inside outs, and many times, we didn't know which way was forward. 2010 brought a lot of heartache where three very amazing people became beautiful angels in Heaven! Two I never had the honor of meeting and one I worked closely with over the past several years. BUT all three of them changed me...for the better...and with a new outlook...I look forward to charging into 2011 with the best attitude I have ever had!

For all of you, be safe this New Years eve, have fun, give your loved ones an extra special hug, and say a prayer for those who aren't here to celebrate the new year <3

1 comment:

  1. OMG! Your comment about Q-Tips had me laughing…ear wax is also one of my BIGGEST pet peeves! Althou I would be judged worse than you, I don’t use Q-Tips, I use the white plastic “sticks” with the “loop” on the end (that I call the “ear cleaners”) that the doctor’s office uses (I stole a bunch when I was waiting for the doctor to come in once)…They work WONDERS and I LOVE them! And have to use them ALL the time because I cannot STAND the thought of ear wax build up!

    ReplyDelete